Saturday, September 3, 2016

Mt. Aire


Trailhead:  Elbow Fork in Millcreek Canyon (elevation 6,686 ft.)
Mileage: 3.8 (out and back)
Elevation @ Summit: 8,673 ft.

My handy dandy guidebook says "If you're in great shape you can make it to the trailhead after work, bag the summit, and be back to your car in 2.5 hours." Well, I made it back to my car in 2.5 hours, but this hike, in no way, made me feel like I was in "great shape". I felt like I was an asthmatic turtle slowly huffing my way up to the summit. In fact, this may have been the most difficult assent I've done in years. It's how I'd imagine purgatory to be. Relentless. Unforgiving. Exhausting. With that being said,  the hard work I put in was definitely rewarded with spectacular views from the summit, where I sat an ate an early lunch and enjoyed the view.




The hike down was similar to a slip and slide, that was set on a downward slope of at least 20 degrees, and topped with  loose dirt and lots of little rocks that found joy in slipping out from under my feet. Thank you gear heads for inventing for trekking poles. I wouldn't hike this trail without them.

#oneanddone

You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment